The HCUP Central Distributor Online Reporting System facilitates the HCUP data users with ordering, purchasing, and re-using HCUP databases, including data applications, requesting complimentary databases, submitting data re-use and data sharing requests. The website can be found at: https://cdors.ahrq.gov/
You may contact the HCUP Central Distributor Team by emailing: HCUP-RequestData@ahrq.gov
(include order number in subject line, if applicable). Due to the transition in the online system to facilitate the purchase of HCUP data, responses may take 5-7 business days. If urgent, please indicate in email subject line. We apologize for the inconvenience, and look forward to faster service in the future.
Information about all HCUP databases is found on the HCUP-US Databases page. The Research Tools page (bottom of the page) provides information about available supplemental files that may be provided with the databases.
Currently, the HCUP Central Distributor Online Reporting System accepts credit card purchases of Nationwide databases (and the complimentary Nationwide Supplemental Files). Over the next several months, online applications for State databases and non-purchaser applications will be accepted.
- HCUP Nationwide Databases (and Supplemental Files) (Database Catalog, Database catalog, Excel , 54 KB)
- HCUP State Databases (and Supplemental Files) (Application kit)(PDF, 616 KB), Database catalog (Excel , 143 KB)
The HCUP Central Distributor User Guide [PDF, 326 KB] provides detailed instructions on how to purchase, protect, re-use and share the HCUP data.
- Register for a User Account on the HCUP Central Distributor Online Reporting System, including submitting the certificate number from required HCUP DUA Training and the completion date of training.
- Select the data you wish to purchase from the HCUP Central Distributor Online Reporting System. See Database Catalog. NOTE: At this time, only Nationwide databases are available for purchase in the online system. Nationwide and State database purchases must be in separate orders. Be sure to also observe the special requirements regarding the purchase of California and Georgia databases; and the access to the AHA Linkage Files for Iowa, Minnesota, and Nebraska.
- Read and confirm the Data Use Agreements, Responsibility of Data Purchaser, and Indemnification Clause. See Data Use Info & Agreements.
- For the purchase of State databases, complete Statement of Intended Use (PDF file, 143 KB; HTML)
- Complete Applicant Information as it relates to the specific data purchase, including billing and shipping (for State orders only) information.
- Pay for the databases. At this time, the online system is only accepting credit card purchases. Future versions will include ACH payment. If you need to purchase the data via purchase order or wire transfer, please contact the HCUP Central Distributor Team at HCUP-RequestData@ahrq.gov.
- Nationwide databases will be available to download from My Account in the HCUP Central Distributor Online Reporting System. State databases will be shipped on DVDs to you via the United States Postal Service (USPS) (tracked and requiring an adult signature).
Use of HCUP data requires taking HCUP Data Use Agreement (DUA) Training and signing an HCUP DUA. Protecting the privacy and security of individuals and institutions and safe handling of the data is critical to the success of HCUP.
- HCUP Data Use Agreement for the Nationwide Databases (PDF file, 330 KB; HTML)
- HCUP Data Use Agreement for the State Databases (PDF file, 332 KB; HTML)
- Responsibilities of the HCUP Data Purchaser (PDF file, 70 KB; HTML
- Indemnification Clause (PDF file, 73 KB; HTML)
If you will be collaborating on another person’s data project, or otherwise using Nationwide and State data you do not own, you must submit the appropriate DUA(s) prior to gaining access to the data. See the Data Use Info & Agreements tab for details and instructions. To submit a DUA without a data purchase, please follow the guidelines in the Additional HCUP Data Use Agreements (DUAs) document (PDF, 421 KB) and email HCUP-RequestData@ahrq.gov with the completed training and DUA certificate. Please include the order number of the original purchase in all correspondence.
Each application and approval for State-level data is project-specific. If you have State-level HCUP data (SID, SASD, or SEDD) from a previous project and wish to use the data for a purpose other than that originally approved, or as concrete projects emerge from approved exploratory work, you must submit a "Data Re-Use Request" to the HCUP Central Distributor for review and approval by AHRQ before work may begin on the new project. You must be the current custodian of the HCUP data to submit a re-use request. Data Re-Use Requests are not necessary for Nationwide databases. To submit a data re-use request, please complete the HCUP Data Re-Use Request application (PDF, 348 KB) and send it via email to HCUP-RequestData@ahrq.gov. Please include the order number of the original data purchase in your email.
You are the custodian for all data you purchase. If you will no longer have access to your data and will be transferring custody to another person, you may request a data custodian transfer by contacting the HCUP Central Distributor. Please remember that individuals, not entities, are responsible for the use and security of the HCUP data, so the data purchaser remains responsible for any use or potential misuse unless and until custody is formally transferred to another individual. To transfer custody of your data, please complete the Transfer Custody of HCUP Data application (PDF, 383 KB) and send it via an email to HCUP-RequestData@ahrq.gov Please include the order number of the original purchase in your email.
Before you publish results based on any HCUP database, confirm that the manuscript follows the requirements of the HCUP Data Use Agreement (DUA). Please review our requirements for publishing with HCUP data here.
Please contact the HCUP Central Distributor Team with questions by email at HCUP-RequestData@ahrq.gov. Due to the transition in the online system to facilitate the purchase of HCUP data, responses may take 5-7 business days. We apologize for the inconvenience, and look forward to faster service in the future.