The HCUP Central Distributor is the entity that accepts, processes, and fulfills applications for the purchase of HCUP databases.
Applications for Nationwide and State Databases, as well as requests for complimentary supplemental files that augment information contained in the HCUP databases, may be submitted through the online HCUP Central Distributor
Keep in Mind
Getting Ready to Order:
- Not all States make their data available through the HCUP Central Distributor, and not all data elements are available from every State. Details are provided on the HCUP-US Databases page.
- The online Database Catalog provides information on the pricing and availability of HCUP databases and applicable supplemental files.
- Participating Data Organizations set the price of their data. Some Data Organizations offer reduced pricing for AHRQ grantees, students, and/or non-profit organizations.
About the HCUP Products Available to Order
- Review the information on this page, and visit the HCUP-US Databases page for more information on the Nationwide and State Databases and explore the Tools & Software page to understand the supplemental files that may be provided with the databases.
- Complete the HCUP Data Use Agreement (DUA) training course. This training is required of all purchasers and all individuals with access to HCUP data, and takes approximately 15 minutes to complete.
Make note of your certification code and completion date as this information will be required to complete your account profile and place an order through the online HCUP Central Distributor.
- If you are unable to use the ordering Web site, you may purchase HCUP databases and supplemental files by completing a hard copy application.
HCUP's Nationwide and State-Specific Databases are available for purchase from the ordering Web site
. Learn about these databases by visiting the Databases
page or the links below.
- State Databases
Not all HCUP-Partners make their State data available. Participating Data Organizations set the price and availability of the data for each State. Browse the Database Catalog for availability and pricing, or learn more about each database using the links below.
- HCUP Supplemental Files
HCUP supplemental files are hospital-level or discharge-level files that augment the information contained in the HCUP databases. The Cost-to-Charge Ratio, Hospital Market Structure, and 1993-2002 NIS Supplemental Discharge-Level Files are available to HCUP data purchasers free of charge and can be requested from the HCUP Central Distributor through the ordering Web site. Learn more about these files by visiting the Tools & Software page or the links below.
- Revisit Analyses Files
HCUP also provides Supplemental Variables for revisit analyses. These variables are designed to facilitate analyses that need to track patients across time and hospital settings in the SID, SASD, and SEDD while adhering to strict privacy guidelines.
The storage of these variables varies by data year. Starting in 2009, the revisit variables are stored in the Core file of the SID, SASD, or SEDD. The State Databases that contain the revisit variables are indicated with an (R) in the Database Catalog of the ordering Web site.
For data years 2003-2008, the revisit variables can be obtained by submitting a completed request form (PDF file, 146 KB) to the HCUP Central Distributor.