Mental Health Substance Abuse Clinical Classification Software (CCS-MHSA) assigns variables that identify mental health and substance abuse-related diagnoses in hospital discharge records using the ICD-9-CM diagnosis codes.
The four-digit CCS-MHSA categories included in CCSMSPn include additional detail. For example, the 3-digit category 654 for Developmental Disorders, is further divided into the following categories:
- Communication Disorders (value 6541)
- Developmental Disabilities (value 6542)
- Intellectual Disabilities (value 6543)
- Learning Disorders (value 6544)
- Motor Skill Disorders (value 6545)
More information on the CCS-MHSA is available under Tools & Software on the HCUP-US website.