The HCUP Central Distributor is the entity that accepts, processes, and fulfills applications for the purchase and use of HCUP databases.
Go to the online HCUP Central Distributor
to submit applications for Nationwide and State Databases, request complimentary supplemental files that augment information contained in the HCUP databases, submit data re-use and data sharing requests, and download your purchased Nationwide data.
Keep in Mind
Getting Ready to Order HCUP Data
- Information about all HCUP databases is found on the HCUP-US Databases page. The Research Tools page provides information about available supplemental files that may be provided with the databases.
- Not all HCUP data organizations make their State-level data available through the HCUP Central Distributor, and not all data elements are available from every State. Details are provided under Availability of HCUP Databases Across States and Years.
- The Database Catalog provides information on the year-by-year pricing and availability of HCUP databases and applicable supplemental files.
- Participating data organizations set the price of their data. Some data organizations offer reduced pricing for AHRQ grantees, students, and/or non-profit organizations. Refer to the database catalogs or Application Kits below for pricing.
Requests for Re-Use of Previously Purchased HCUP State-level Data
- Complete the HCUP Data Use Agreement (DUA) training course. This training is required of all purchasers and all individuals with access to HCUP data, and takes approximately 15 minutes to complete.
Make note of your certification code and completion date for proof of training, which is required to complete your account profile and place an order through the online HCUP Central Distributor.
- If you are unable to use the ordering website, please contact the HCUP Central Distributor at HCUP@ahrq.gov or 866-290-HCUP (4287) for assistance.
- All requests for State Databases require a "Statement of Intended Use"" as part of the application. A Guide for Preparing the Statement of Intended Use for State Databases (PDF file, 143 KB; HTML) is provided for reference.
More Information: HCUP Products Available through the HCUP Central Distributor
- If you have State HCUP data from a previous project and wish to use the data for a purpose other than that originally approved, or as concrete projects emerge from approved exploratory work, you must submit a "Data Re-Use Request" through the online HCUP Central Distributor for review and approval by AHRQ before work may begin on the new project.
- You must be the current custodian of the HCUP data to submit a re-use request.
HCUP's Nationwide and State-Specific Databases are available for purchase through the online HCUP Central Distributor
. Learn about these databases by visiting the Databases
page or the links below.
- Nationwide Databases
Nationwide Databases are delivered via secure digital download. Information related to this feature can be found in the Purchasing FAQs.
- State Databases
Not all HCUP-Partners make their State data available. Participating data organizations set the price of their data. Browse the Database Catalog for availability and pricing, or learn more about each database using the links below.
- HCUP Supplemental Files
HCUP supplemental files are hospital-level or discharge-level files that augment the information contained in the HCUP databases. The Cost-to-Charge Ratio, Hospital Market Structure, and 1993-2002 NIS Supplemental Discharge-Level Files are available to HCUP data purchasers free of charge and can be requested through the online HCUP Central Distributor. Learn more about these files by visiting the Research Tools page or the links below.
- Revisit Analyses Files
HCUP also provides Supplemental Variables for Revisit Analyses. These variables are designed to facilitate analyses that need to track patients across time and hospital settings in the SID, SASD, and SEDD while adhering to strict privacy guidelines.
The storage of these variables varies by data year. Starting with the 2009 data, the revisit variables are stored in the Core file of the SID, SASD, or SEDD. The State Databases that contain the revisit variables are indicated with an (R) in the Database Catalog.
For data years 2003-2008, the revisit variables are provided as a separate file with the HCUP SID, SASD, and SEDD. If the HCUP State databases were purchased prior to the release of the Revisit Files, then these supplemental files can be obtained free of charge from the HCUP Central Distributor.