When examining the distribution of discharges by present on admission (POA) indicators at the hospital level, the following edit checks serve as potential signals that inaccurate coding of POA may be occurring:
- POA is reported as "yes/present" on all diagnoses on all discharges (HCUP data element POA_Hosp_Edit1).
- POA is reported as missing on all non-Medicare discharges (HCUP data element POA_Hosp_Edit2).
- POA is reported as missing on all nonexempt diagnoses for 15 percent or more of discharges in the hospital (HCUP data element POA_Hosp_Edit3). The percentage of discharges with all nonexempt diagnoses missing POA is provided in the HCUP data element POA_Hosp_Edit3_Value.
In addition, there are two discharge-level edit check for POA:
- Discharge is missing POA on all nonexempt diagnoses (HCUP data element POA_Disch_Edit1).
- Discharge is missing POA on all nonexempt secondary diagnoses (HCUP data element POA_Disch_Edit2).