Beginning with data year 2016, the Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems (OAHHS) supplies separate ambulatory surgery (AS) and emergency department (ED) source files to HCUP. Prior to data year 2016, the Office for Oregon Health Policy & Research supplied separate AS and ED source files to HCUP.
Both data organization distinguish between an AS and ED record based on the patient's last place of service. The assignment of the last place of service is hierarchical and based on the following definitions:
- Outpatient Surgery: Ambulatory Surgery - Any record with a revenue code 036X, 0481, 049X, 0511, 0723, 075x, or 079x.
- Emergency Room - Any record not classified as outpatient surgery AND with a CPT code of 99281-99285 or 99291 or revenue code 045x.
- Observation - Any record not classified as Outpatient Surgery or Emergency Room AND with a revenue code 0760, 0762, 0769.
- Therapies - Any record not classified as Outpatient Surgery, Emergency Room, or Observation AND with a revenue code 041x-044x, 093x, 0940-949, or 95x. This includes respiratory, physical, occupational and speech therapies, medical rehabilitation, therapeutic rehabilitation or athletic training respectively.
- Outpatient (Lab/Radiology) Only - Any record not classified as Outpatient Surgery, Emergency Room, Observation, or Therapies AND with a revenue code 030x, 032x-035x, 040x, 061x, 073x-074x, or 092x exclusively. This includes Diagnostic and Routine Laboratory Testing, Diagnostic and Therapeutic Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, CAT Scans, Imaging, MRIs, EKGs and ECGs, EEGs.
- Other Outpatient - Any record not classified as Outpatient Surgery, Emergency Room, Observation, Therapies, or Outpatient (Lab/Radiology) Only AND with a revenue code 038x-039x, 046x-047x, 051x-052x, 064x-066x, 077x, 082x-085x, or 088x exclusively. This includes Blood Products and Storage, Audiology and Pulmonary Clinics, Hospice and Preventative Care, Hemodialysis, peritoneum and miscellaneous dialysis.
Given the hierarchical assignment of place of service, records for patients treated in the ED, and then treated and released from observation care will be marked as an ED record.
Selection of Records for Inclusion in the SEDD
All records identified by Oregon as ED (i.e., included in the separate ED data file provided to HCUP) are included in the SEDD (HCUP data element STATE_ED=1 based on last place of service ED).
Additionally, any other records with evidence of ED services that are flagged by the variable HCUP_ED (i.e., HCUP_ED>0) during HCUP processing are included in the SEDD. If a record in the SASD also has evidence of ED services based on the HCUP criteria (HCUP data element HCUP_ED not equal to 0), then the SASD record is also included in the SEDD. These records will have the same value for the HCUP data element KEY.
Types of Facilities Included in the Files Provided to HCUP by the Partner
Oregon collects emergency department data from all hospital-owned EDs in the State.
A comparison of the number of hospitals included in the SEDD and the number of hospitals reported in the AHA Annual Survey is available starting in data year 2015.
Hospital-owned EDs do not always report data for a full calendar year. Some open or close during the year; others have technical problems that prevent them from reporting data for all months in a year.
Exclusion of Records During HCUP Data Processing During HCUP Data Processing
Beginning with 2016 data, records with a discharge disposition of "still a patient" are retained in the HCUP SEDD. Prior to 2016 data, these records were excluded.