Clinical Classifications Software (CCS) for services and procedures coded by Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS) Level I (CPT) and Level II procedure codes consists of 244 categories. This system is clinically based with all procedure codes classified.
CPTCCSn is coded as follows:
- 1 to 244 if the procedure code (CPTn) is valid by the HCUP criteria. The HCUP criteria for procedure validation allows a year window (six months before and six months after) around the official CPT coding changes, for anticipation of or lags in response to official CPT coding changes.
- CPTCCSn is missing (.), if there is no procedure code (CPTn = " ").
- CPTCCSn is set to invalid (.A), if the procedure code (CPTRn) is invalid by the HCUP criteria (ECPT01).
- CPTCCSn is set to inconsistent (.C), if:
- The procedure code (CPTn) is inconsistent with sex of the patient (ECPT02)
- The procedure code (CPTn) is inconsistent with age of the patient (ECPT03)
- We discontinued age edits for HCPCS level I (CPT codes) beginning with data year 2011 and we discontinued age edits for all other HCPCS codes beginning in 2015.
More information on the CCS for services and procedures is available under the HCUP Tools and Software page on HCUP-US.