HCUP_OS indicates records that have evidence of observation stay (OS) services reported on the HCUP record. A value of 1 or greater indicates that there is evidence of OS. A value of 0 marks records that do not include evidence of OS. It is possible that records with HCUP_OS=0 did in fact have OS services, but that information was not captured on the HCUP record.
The criteria used to identify OS services has changed over time. Evidence of OS includes:
- Observation Stay revenue code of 762 on record.
- Positive observation stay charge, when revenue center codes are not available.
- Observation stay CPT codes reported on record.
- 99217-99220 hospital observation services
- 99234-99236 observation or inpatient care services including admission and discharge services
- G0378 Hospital observation service (added in data year 2010)
- G0379 Direct admission of patient for hospital observation care.
- From data year 2010-2013, revenue code of 760 (General Classification - Treatment/Observation Room) reported on record with an observation stay CPT code.