The data element I10_DELIVERY identifies whether a diagnosis, procedure, or Medicare-Severity Diagnosis Related Group (MS-DRG) indicating the delivery of a newborn is reported on the discharge record of a female aged 12-55 years (excluding those with an indication of an abortion).
Evidence of a delivery is based on the following screen:
- Any of the following ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes
- Diagnoses starting with Z37 (outcome of delivery)
- Diagnosis O80 (Encounter for full-term uncomplicated delivery)
- Diagnosis O82 (Encounter for cesarean delivery without indication)
- Diagnosis O7582 (Onset (spontaneous) of labor after 37 completed weeks of gestation but before 39 completed weeks gestation, with delivery by (planned) cesarean section)
- Any ICD-10-PCS procedure codes of 10D00Z0-10D00Z2, 10D07Z3-0D07Z8, 10E0XZZ
- Any of the following MS-DRGs (valid as of October 2018):
- MS-DRG 768 Vaginal Delivery with O.R. procedure except Sterilization &/or D&C
- MS-DRG 783 Cesarean Section with Sterilization with MCC
- MS-DRG 784 Cesarean Section with Sterilization with CC
- MS-DRG 785 Cesarean Section with Sterilization without CC/MCC
- MS-DRG 786 Cesarean Section without Sterilization with MCC
- MS-DRG 787 Cesarean Section without Sterilization with CC
- MS-DRG 788 Cesarean Section without Sterilization without CC/MCC
- MS-DRG 796 Vaginal Delivery with Sterilization/D&C with MCC
- MS-DRG 797 Vaginal Delivery with Sterilization/D&C with CC
- MS-DRG 798 Vaginal Delivery with Sterilization/D&C without CC/MCC
- MS-DRG 805 Vaginal Delivery without Sterilization/D&C with MCC
- MS-DRG 806 Vaginal Delivery without Sterilization/D&C with CC
- MS-DRG 807 Vaginal Delivery without Sterilization/D&C without CC/MCC
The data element I10_DELIVERY excludes males and diagnosis and procedure codes that indicate evidence of an abortion. This includes:
- ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes of pregnancy with abortive outcome (O00, O01, O02, O03, O04, O07, or O08)
- ICD-10-PCS procedure codes starting with 10A0 that indicate an abortion
For data year 2018, there is no indicator on the HCUP data files that identifies deliveries, births, and neonatal and/or maternal diagnoses and procedures.
From quarter four of 2015 through 2017, the data element I10_NEOMAT was used to identify discharges with neonatal and/or maternal diagnoses and procedures. The information on coding is available in the report on HCUP Quality Control Procedures posted on all HCUP database documentation web pages.
For data prior to the fourth quarter of 2015, the neonatal and/or maternal diagnosis and/or procedure codes are stored in the data element NEOMAT to indicate the use of the ICD-9-CM coding system.